Thursday, July 10, 2008

An interesting Outlook

This is from the FAQ that I mentioned earlier ( http://www.perpetualtravel.com/rtw/rtwcompanions.html for those too lazy to scroll down)

"I have done a LOT of travelling throughout Africa & Asia and met a lot of other travellers on the way, and would say the most important bit of advice to give someone setting off, THE golden rule, is GO ALONE! Travelling is a very individual thing -- a companion forces you to make compromises. The dynamics between yourself and your companion intrude on the travelling and diminish the experience. A companion isolates you from others -- you become a social unit that excludes others joining in. Plus you will inevitably part company sooner or later anyway -- save yourself the grief and the wasted opportunities. There are many others on the road with whom you will team up for short periods anyway. There are plenty of watering holes en-route where you can meet up with other travellers when you find yourself needing social intercourse. There will always be others with whom you can share expenses (i.e. renting a car or guide) for short (<>


I'm not sure how the trip will go. I've traveled quite extensively with Leon and Noah, they're great guys we all get along great in that we're usually good about doing our own things and what not, but this excerpt makes me think that I should figure out some independent side trips (ie when i tour S.E. Asia, China, India) that lets me explore the areas alone. I think if i want to really want to have this trip to have a lasting effect on me, I need time alone, to see how others live, to reflect/ experience things alone.

As of right now, I'm thinking that in the places we stay for significant time we can all live together, but in areas where I want to explore, I will try and have side trips, excursions alone or travel in a route opposite to theirs.

2 comments:

kt said...

OUCH ian...where am I in this post? maybe i'll decide to take my own personal trip when my mom gives me a week in a time share in Europe or Asia...

Ian said...

kt!!! no burn intended (and yeah, i forgot the Canada trip. How. Could. I.). I just think the odds of me having to share a single sized bed in Bangkok with Leon and Noah is higher then it will be with you...