Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Start

I need to learn spanish.

My first destination has been decided on- it'll be Buenos Aires. I'll head there in early September, and live there for around 3- 3.5 months, not including any excursions around South America. On that list (which is short now, but I'm sure will expand a ton in the near future), is Patagonia and hiking to see machu picchu. But given that I'll be alone at the start of the trip, I'm gonna need to have some familiarity with spanish to get around, etc.

I found this http://cubicleescapeartist.com/blog/?p=20 which is pretty interesting in its analysis of what the best way to learn a language is. I can't find part 2, which is too bad because that might've held some other good advice (if you find it- link me please). Regardless, my plan will be to use Pimsleur spanish (which I just picked up- will start tomorrow morning) and will do 1 or 2 sessions a day monday- friday and then when i get to BsAs, sign up for some spanish lessons. From there I will follow Tim Ferriss's advice, and try and get lessons on subjects that interest me and hope to gain some sort of a foothold on Spanish.

Anyways, theres a bunch of things to organize in the near future and I'll keep with the plan and give each their own seperate post.




No comments: